Monday, September 20, 2010

Consider your calling

In what shall our confidence lay in? In what shall we boast in? Are we to boast in ourselves? Nay, that would be hedonistic. However, there is a type of hedonism that is indeed biblical. Pastor, scholar, and my personal hero John Piper writes, "God is most glorified in me when I am most satisfied in Him" This is the foundation for Christian Hedonism. Our boast is, has, and always will be in the Lord. Anyone who says that we ought not boast has an ascetic view on humility. Biblical humility is PROUD! Biblical humility is boastful! I find that the most humble thing one can do is boast in one who is greater than he. Since then we have been united to Christ, let us boast in him! Believe me, there will be much boasting in heaven. However, that boasting will not be in ourselves, but rather in "The Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world!" (John 1:29)

I find this to be the basis for Paul's admonishment in 1 Cor 1:26, "Consider your calling, brothers" What follows next is surprising to say the least. We are told to think back to our spiritual calling and then Paul precedes to call us "foolish", "weak", "low" and "despised". Now as I contemplate these descriptions, I initially have a hard time reconciling them to the previous command. How does this make sense? How am I foolish and yet called by God? How am I weak and yet called by God? How can these descriptions which make me seem so unimpressive somehow be working as the basis for my spiritual calling? Then it dawned on me. This is all working to cultivate Christian Hedonism. Or otherwise known as "the intentional pursuit of joy in God". What gets in the way of true worship is an elevated view of self. No one stands before God and says, "I alone am great." Once we have a proper understanding of the holiness of God, true worship will ultimately follow. This is why Christian hedonists are more than content with being called "weak", "foolish" and "low". For the lower they go, the higher God seems! Our boast is not in ourselves, rather it is in the greatness of God. I pray that you would decrease in order that Jesus Christ may increase in your life. That is the true path to joy and the essence of Christian Hedonism.

"He who calls you is faithful, he will surely do it"

No comments:

Post a Comment